HOW DO I WALK MY CONSERVATION TALK?
Maintained a mostly Pesco-veggie diet
pre 1978 and on
- Shopped regional and seasonal.
- Used wax paper lunch bags.
- Used refillable drink bottles.
- Made all meals from scratch. -no trash
- Bought bulk in paper bags at crate and barrel stores.
- Cleaned with vinegar; baking soda; and Bronner’s liquid soaps.
- Refilled bottles at our old-fashioned ‘health food’ store with: Vinegars; Bronner’s Soaps and Liquid Mineral Bouillon; Bragg’s Liquid Amino Acids.
- Used washable rags to clean.
- Used washable linen napkins.
- Made rag rugs for floors.
- Used no air conditioning.
- Owned no dryer or dishwasher.
- Hung all clothes to dry, either outside or inside.
- Recycled / reclaimed old wood furniture.
- Have a garden.
- Rode motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and walked a lot.
- Drove a manual 5 speed 1978 Toyota Celica GT, 24-34 mpg. (77-90, 13 yrs)
- Gutted & insulated all walls in our masonry home with an R16 value.
- Insulated crawl space and attic.
- Used thermal or wool window drapes, kept cold out and heat in.
- Used passive solar energy -opened curtains to let heat in during day.
- Recycled everything: Clothes -repaired, refashioned, recycled by using in sewing and craft projects, made cleaning rags, or donated; Furniture -revamped, or donated.
- Maintain several large Oaks for Wildlife. *They provide Our family’s share of Oxygen, and they’re natural air filters.
- Planted apple trees, grape vines, blueberries & raspberries. We do share with wildlife. *More Oxygen.
- Planted a lot of Wildlife cover and hedgerows. *More Oxygen.
- Encourage Birds for Pest Control, by providing Food, Water, Shelter.
- Use Ladybugs, Diatomaceous earth and Milky spore for pest control.
- Used fluorescent ceiling light fixtures in the house: 2 bedrooms; 2 bathrooms; 2 halls; 1 kitchen; 1 laundry room; and 1 office.
- Use Leftovers and Scraps: Freeze bits and pieces for soups; Feed to Animals- Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Turtles, Birds (Parrots, Chickens and Wild); Last, but not least, Compost.
- Fought to keep our food CLEAN (Pesticides Out of the Food Stream) –Mothers & Other, with Ralph Nader.
- Breast fed babies.
- Used cloth diapers, sanitized in the sun.
- Used low watt, timed motion sensor lights in all rooms.
- Used some compact fluorescents and LED’s in lamps.
- Used Recycled grey water for garden.
- Installed a new efficient oil burner.
- Recycled an old tub as an inground pond and water for wildlife.
- Recycled an old bathroom sink as a inground drip fountain for birds.
- Reclaimed outdoor cedar plank siding and reused as attic flooring.
- Reclaimed outdoor cedar plank siding and reused for Bunny hutch.
- Reclaimed outdoor cedar plank siding and reused for Chicken coop.
1986 to 1998
- Drove a 1987 Manuel 5 speed Hyundai Excel 25-31 mpg (1986-1998, 12 yrs)
- Installed new dual pane windows.
- Installed new Insulated siding on 2nd floor of house.
- Use a water-saving tumble washer. On our second one.
1992 to 2005
- Drove a 1993 Manual 5 speed Pontiac Grand Am GT 21-31 mpg.It got 34 mpg on long trips w cruise control & overdrive.(1992-2005, 13 yrs)
- Drive a 2003 Pontiac Aztec, 18 – 24 mpg. We get up to 25- 31 mpg with cruise control. (2016 – still driving 14 yrs)
- Installed a water saver dual flush toilet.
- Installed a water flow control shower.
- Recycled an old bathtub into a raised bed herb garden.
- Installed new reflective insulating roofing shingles.
- Installed triple pane, glazed windows on north and northwest of house.
- Installed triple pane, glazed windows on the south and southeast.
- Installed a water saver dual flush toilet in 2nd bath.
- Installed a water flow control shower in 2nd bath.
- Recycled another old bathtub into a raised bed garden.
There have been so many projects, hopefully I will be able to cover them and more in upcoming posts.
I hope you join me on my journey, as I recount many things from my past, and explore the many other creative possibilities in my future. – OmaEagle