Old Mennonite cooking
Chicken was another frequent ingredient in old Mennonite cooking.
Chicken Pot Pie, Bot Boi
- 1 celery stalk w leaves,
- 1 slice thin pepper
- 3 lbs. chicken/parts
- 4 potatoes, qtr.
- 2 qt. water
- 1 carrot, slice thin
- 1 onion, dice
- 2 T. parsley
- 1 batch dough squares
- Cover chicken, stew almost tender. Strain. Bone chicken and dice.
- Add potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, parsley and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Add chicken. Drop half of squares into boiling broth, one by one, cover entire top. Stir, then add the rest. Cover tight.
- Boil 20 min., until squares have a spongy texture when cut with a fork. Serve 6-8.
This is not what it will look like…
Mennonite / German Dutch Chicken Pot Pie is basically a stew, a thicken, beefed up (Oops), I means a bolstered up soup, not this… 🙂
But, I also do this Chicken Pot Pie – quick and easy with Jiffy Baking Mix.
Quicky Chicken Pot Pie (or Cheater’s Pot Pie)
- 1+1/2 cup diced chicken – usually leftover
- 1 cup of veggies – I use mixed, corn, gr. beans, carrots, etc.
- 1+1/2 – 2 cups of broth gravy – some use canned gravy or cream soups,
- 1 batch biscuit dough batter
- Butter or spray pie plate.
- Place chicken and (thawed) veggies in.
- Cover with about 1/2 the gravy. Saving the extra gravy to pour on top, of finished servings. YUM
- Pour biscuit dough batter over all the top
- Bake on 400* F, until top is brown and gravy is bubbly. (abt. 35 min.)
HINT: I make my own gravy from the roasting pan drippings.
- Deglaze the pan and strain into a jar, refrigerate.
- Next day scoop off the harden fat.
- Use this broth thickened with corn starch, etc.
Chicken, a frequent ingredient in old Mennonite cooking. Broths & Soups: Chicken Corn Soups; Chicken Noodle Soups Main Dishes: Chicken Baked in Cream; Chicken Fricassee; Chicken & Oyster Pie; Chicken & Pineapple.
What are some of your families recipes?
Take Care, Thanks for stopping by. – OmaEagle
I hope you join me on my journey, as I recount many things from my past, and explore the many other creative possibilities in my future. – OmaEagle