I Mean Really Recycling…
by donating, repurposing or actually composting them…
When we, the adults, outgrew our clothes and textiles, I would donate some of the good usable items to charities that actually help clothe and house people, such as Sal-Val (Salvation Army) or the Breakfast Mission.
Others I would repurpose by making new items for the home.
- Big items: Patchwork bedspreads, blankets, rag rugs, etc.
- Small items: Kid clothes, vests, scarves, hats, bags, throws, bath mats, pillows, pillowcases, seat cushions, clothespin bags, washcloths, etc.
- If an item seemed too worn, I would tear it into cleaning and polishing cloths or gardening covers and ties.
- I have occasionally composted them.
Preparing to Repurpose…
For the Rag Rugs:
- I cut the material into 1 to 1.5 inch strips. (depending on it’s thickness)
- I begin to wind it into a ball, like yarn
- I knot the ends together as I go. (I have occasionally sewn the ends.)
- Store in see-through bin.
Rag Rugs in the works…
Finished Chair Cushions
Take Care, Thanks for stopping by.
I hope you join me on my journey, as I recount many things from my past, and explore the many other creative possibilities in my future. – OmaEagle